Pages

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

"Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell" review

Wishmaster 3: Beyond the Gates of Hell (2001)

Directed by Chris Angel
Writing credits Peter Atkins Alex Wright

John Novak.... The Djinn
A.J. Cook.... Diana Collins
Tobias Mehler.... Greg Janson/St. Michael the Archangel
Jason Connery.... Professor Joel Barash

I saw this the other day with a friend of mine. He HATED it. Despised it. There was just something about the Wishmaster that rubbed him the wrong way. I think he may have been too goofy for him. The ending was pretty weak too. I didn't think "Wishmaster 3" was that bad. But I was shouted down with "WOW! That movie sucked! I wish it away!" I had to protect the movie before it was thrown against the wall.

The Wishmaster is released from his prison and goes about being all the demon he can be. He prowls around a college campus looking for the girl who let him out. If he can grant her wishes, the world will be destroyed. Of course it will.

The Wishmaster doesn't play fair with his wishes. No matter what you wish for, you will pay dearly. Even the most innocuous wish will result in an extremely painful death. You can wish for a cute puppy and a little dog will spring out of nowhere and lunge for your throat. But he's so cute! Even if the Wishmaster doesn't ask for a wish and you're just standing around mumbling to yourself, "I wish I had some more money", a gold bar will land on your skull. Didn't see that coming did ya?!

Maybe the movie is trying to say we should stop wishing our lives away. We daydream of a better life and the Wishmaster gives us a fatal reality check. I kind of liked the Wishmaster and his unfair Death Wishes. It worked for me.

SCORE: 2.5 out of 4 Wishmasters

No comments: