Pages

Sunday, November 19, 2006

"Jaws: The Revenge" review

Jaws: The Revenge (1987)
AKA Jaws 4

Directed by Joseph Sargent
Writing credits Michael De Guzman

Lorraine Gary .... Ellen Brody
Lance Guest .... Michael Brody
Mario Van Peebles .... Jake
Michael Caine .... Hoagie Newcombe
Karen Young .... Carla Brody

I was at a Mexican restaurant with my friend when the conversation turned to "Jaws 4". He insisted that Mario Van Peebles survived the shark movie. I disagreed. I distinctly remembered him being dragged underwater with Jaws gnawing away at him. We bet 10 bucks to settle it and rented the movie after dinner. "Jaws 4" cost me ten bucks.

This movie was ridiculous. Van Peebles should be dead! How in the world did he survive? Jaws follows the Brody's to an island. It's his revenge!! What makes this movie stand out as a loser is the shark itself. It gets too many closeups which exposes it for the prop it is. Shark looking mighty fake. The ending seals the deal. Jaws on his hind legs out of the water and howling like a wounded lion. I'll join him. AAAAAAWWWOOOOO!!!

SCORE: 1 out of 4 bet blowing plastic sharks

2 comments:

Evan Waters said...

I think he now owes you $5 or something. There are two versions of this movie; in one Van Peebles lives, in the other he stays dead, and there are a couple of other changes.

Dr. Gore said...

I knew I saw Van Peebles die. I want my $5 bucks back! If not, I'll settle for some free Mexican food. $5 bucks worth. I can eat like a king. A very poor king.